Monday, August 8, 2011

Camo Back Pack

First I have to say I can't believe that I didn't post about my inaugural trip to the Los Angeles fabric district, my personal grimy paradise.  I will definitely remedy that later.  But that is not the point of this post, the point of this post is that my 11 year old nephew is into all things camouflage and was looking for a back pack in his signature print.  Oddly, no one could find a camouflage backpack for him.  Really?  Isn't that weird?  I don't have kids and therefore am not up on kids stuff but you think you would be able to find a camouflage back pack for an 11 year old.  I looked and always came up empty. . . So when I was in the fabric district I bought a yard of camo fabric for $3.50, it was wide, probably 60 inches.  The guy shorted me  because there were samples cut out of some of the fabric but again, that is not the point of this story.  This is about the back pack. 

I didn't really have a plan when I bought the fabric, but I figured I wouldn't need more than a yard of really wide fabric for a back pack.  I ended up borrowing my niece's Jansport to use as a pattern, it had lots of zippers and pockets and that looked exhausting so I simplified and just make the main 'compartment' and a couple of cargo pockets to go with the theme.  I hope you like looking at things sideways because I am having computer problems.

Anthony the back pack model

The back
 I used some foam I had from a too big mattress pad to pad the straps. I also put some batting between two layers of fabric to make the back.  I thought about quilting it but decided against it, its seems to be pretty sturdy.  I used three layers of fabric to reinforce the bottom.
Zipper!
 I was kind of proud of the zipper, just 'cause I always mess them up.  I had this one in my stash.  Probably form my grandma.

More back pack modeling.
So, Whadda ya think?

1 comment: