Follow by Email

Monday, January 31, 2011

Phone Bench

My neighbors gave me a phone bench that was taking up too much space in their garage.  I want to give it a make over but decided to to do a quick mock up to see what colors I like best. 



I already purchased some Japanese fabric from Textile Fabrics to cover the cushion in.  Its called flower bed by Etsuko Furuya. 

Here are some ideas for the bench color:

Yellow
 
Purpleish
  
Black

Teal

   
 


 
  







Red


White

 













I'm thinking teal or some other greenish aqua color.  Now I just need to work up the guts to paint it, it seems like sacrilige. 

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The headboard is finished!

In my experience, no project goes as planned.  There are always unexpected obstacles to conquer.  Last night when I got home from work I was super tired but Bryant helped me to be motivated to finish the headboard.  I thought I had a bunch of foam in the attic that I could use to make my headboard extra fluffy, I was wrong.  I went out and bought a sad assortment of egg crates, mattress pads and comforters.  When I got home my cheapness took over and I ended up using a folded over king size down like comforter and a foam mattress pad that we already had laying around. 

Putting it all together


Fabric up close
After lots of measuring and stapling and going the store to get an new staple gun because the first one wasn't going in all the way, the headboard was finished. 


Yay! Finished!


Mounting note: Bryant mounted L Brackets to the wall, then screwed the headboard frame to the L brackets.

Drillmaster Bryant

L Bracket

We  ended up forgoing tufting and buttons because the print would have made it look to busy.  That was Bryants idea, I'm a more is more kind of girl.  But he is probably right.
I love the way it turned out.  and down the road if I want to change the fabric it will be a breeze.  Now I have to change everything else in the room to match.


Friday, January 28, 2011

Upholstered Headboard

Headboard Frame by Bryant
Drum roll please (drum rolling in your head) Presenting. . .My first Project!  It may not look like much now but by tonight it will be an upholsered headboard.
   
To build the frame Bryant cut down a peice of particle board to 80"x44", it is going to be big but our room is big and it needs big furniture.  He made the frame using some 1x2's. Bryant always makes things that are super sturdy, check that thing out!

I got this awesome print fabric from Sirs, it was remnant fabric so I got two peices that are about 1yard and 1/3 each and matched the print when I sewed it together. I was pretty excited because I had never tried to match a print before.  I think it turned out pretty good and the tufting should help to conceal the seam.
 
A few months ago our lovely neighbors gave me their granmothers button collection so I will be digging through it for the right buttons for tufting.  I don't want to do fabric covered, instead I am going to go with a contrasting color. . .probably black since the print is tan with french writing on it.  More Later!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Introductions

Hello world!  I've set this little blog up as an outlet for all my pent up creativity.  I always seem to have 10 different projects going on at once and I'd like to share some of those projects with you.  Maybe it will help to increase my ratio of projects started to projects completed too.  Smiles.  Thanks for stopping by.